Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What a Whirl Wind

My life has been chaos lately...but in a good way!

About a month ago I interviewed for a kindergarten position at Broadway elementary. As most of you know I have been holding out for this "late hire" job. I didn't believe these things really existed and was just fine with subbing and being a nanny!  I mean I applied for 239984532598 jobs this summer and heard nothing so I had to be ok with not teaching. But in 3 days I was called to interview for 4 different kindergarten jobs because of numbers...everyone has to many kids.

I interviewed at Broadway first and I felt the interview went great. I felt relaxed and like I fit in well with the team. I guess they felt the same because they called me the next day and offered me the position. I was so excited and accepted the job immediately! Although I had other interviews I knew that there was a reason God let Broadway call me first and offer me the job so quickly; I knew it was the place for me.

They offered me the job on a Friday, I met my team on Monday, then the stress began on Tuesday. My principal called and informed me that I was not considered highly qualified in the district because I only held a temporary Texas certification. I went in to full blown panic mode. She was so sweet and kept me calm and helped find a solution to our problem! I told her I could take the certification test that week and she told me that they could wait for my results (super sweet right?!).

I signed up to take my two Texas Certification Test, after I got done balling crying of course. I would take one on Thursday and one on Friday. Now here comes the funny part; I have never taken Texas history in my life and would be tested on it Thursday. I am also only certified to teach PK- 3rd grade in Louisiana but will be certified to teach PK - 6th grade in Texas which means that I would be tested on 3 years of material that I took no college class on and lets be honest its been a LONG time since I was in 6th grade.

I have never crammed for a test like I did for these in my entire life.

I took the tests, passed both, and was able to be formally hired as the new kindergarten teacher.  I thought I could breath for a minute but I couldn't; things were about to get even busier.

I found out my test scores on Tuesday morning, signed my contract Tuesday afternoon and started my job on Wednesday. I got some time to set up my classroom and had my first parent night last Monday.
I have had my kids a week today and they are the most precious angels!

So although it has been chaos and a whirl wind I am grateful. I am sorry I have been absent from the blog and yes the Halbrook's are alive and well, I have just been a little on the busy side. It has been a great whirl wind I am grateful for this opportunity and for all of the people I have met already. They have welcomed me with open arms and I am truly blessed to be part of such a great school family!

I will be catching you up on our life though because I have missed a lot of good blogging memories!

It feels so good to be back!



No comments:

Post a Comment