Friday, October 19, 2012

Loving the Windy City

Sorry I haven't blogged in ten whole days but it has been a very busy ten days.  Last friday I left to meet my nanny in Chicago for our yearly godmother/goddauther girls trip. We started the tradition last year and had so much fun!  Last year I flew there by myself but this year we met in Houston and flew to Chicago together. Here we are waiting for takeoff!

We got into Chicago about 1:30 on Friday and checked into the hotel.  We stayed at the Doubletree downtown and let me just tell you it was AMAZING! First of all you get free cookies when you check in and who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies.  We got settled and tried to make reservations for dinner that night. Nanny had gotten some recommendations and when we call RPM they asked if we would like to eat at 4 or 11...needless to say we chose somewhere else.  We made a reservation at La Madia which was really yummy but we missed the memo that the serve mostly pizza...opps!  They did have the best bruschette I have ever had; it was mushroom marsala and very delicious! We hit he streets before dinner and did a little shopping. Neither one of us bought anything today but it was fun to look for wedding shoes and a new purse for Nanny! We were a woman on a mission! Here is a little picture of us on the ride to dinner the first night.


On Saturday we woke up and hit the streets to shop. We at lunch at the Grand Lux which was really cool because it overlooks Michigan Avenue. We were still on the handbag and shoe mission and found a commonality in everything we remotely liked was Kate Spade. I finally got the bright Idea to google Kate Spade Store and found that there is one right off Michigan Avenue. Nanny and I practically ran there.  Nanny found a fabulous bag and I found my WEDDING SHOES. There is no way i'm putting a picture of them online but I will show yall nanny's bag!

After shopping Nanny and I headed back to the hotel to get ready for our historic bar tour. The tour was given by Chicago Detours and it was very cool.  Every place we went we got a drink and appetizer as well as learning all about the bar and surrounding area.  It was 2.5 hours long which was the perfect time frame and we got to walk everywhere.  After the tour we found a little bar accross the street that would play the Louisiana Tech game that night.  I stayed till the very end and was so proud of my bulldogs and the heart they showed.  Although we didn't come out with the W we still scored over 50 points and still remain number one in offense.  

Since the game wasn't over till after 1 am we slept late and had a leisurely morning in bed. The we went to brunch at Oprah's House haha....Her chef does have a restaurant called Table 52 so it was like we were eating at her house. It was a very cute place and the food was delicious. I had the pumpkin and ricotta pancakes and nanny had the shrimp and grits. The weather was pretty yucky so we hit up the 6 story Bloomingdales and some other cool shops. By the time we were finished with the 900 Michigan shopping complex we were pretty pooped and walked back home. We ordered room service for dinner and ate in bed while watching some good sunday night TV!

Monday it was time to go which is always really tough. I don't get to see my nanny as much as I would like so the time we get to spend together is so precious.  I am so blessed to have her in my life and am so thankful that my mom 'picked" her...she couldn't have done a better job!  Monday was an adventure because my flight from Chicago got delayed because of broken plane breaks which caused me to  miss my connection in Houston which was the last flight out to Monroe which meant I had to spend the night.  Thankfully Aunt Harriett and Uncle Steve were in town because I got an unexpected visit with them. My flight flew out at 7:40 Tuesday night and although this flight got slightly delayed and was a very bumpy flight I made it home in one piece 31 hours later!

It has taken me until today to catch up completely on my rest and get unpacked but I am finally feeling back to normal.  

It was an amazing trip but something even more amazing happened yesterday...the save the dates are out!!! Everyone be looking in your mailbox for our bright green envelopes...We are both so excited for our friends and family to get the first piece of wedding stationery. They were made with lots of love and I am very proud of them.

A scary moment to know that it was now out of my control and I no longer had save the dates to work on!

I hope everyone had a great week. We have an exciting weekend coming up full of football games and a trip to shreveport to celebrate my 23rd birthday.

xoxo
The engaged couple



No comments:

Post a Comment