Friday, August 23, 2013

laundry room

My first room revel is going to be my lovely laundry room. I know it is a strange room to revel first but I am really proud of it!!

Laundry is totally the pits. I mean who honestly loves to do laundry...no one. And most laundry rooms are so ugly: the lighting is bad, they are full of wire shelving that everything falls through and there is just not enough storage.

Well our laundry room was no different and the worst part is its location in our house; it's like we can't avoid peering into this room when we get home. It is directly to the right when you walk in the front door so if the laundry room door isn't closed (which most of the time it isn't) you see right into it. And if you come into the house through the garage you walk right into the laundry room. YUCK! 

So I started day dreaming about laundry rooms like this...

Photo courtesy Houzz

or like this...

Photo courtesy DecorPad

And then I was brought back to reality that my laundry room was no were near as spacious or beautiful.


My laundry room was small, had one shelf that was to high for me to even reach on my own and an awkward row of hooks that were HIDEOUS!! I turned to pinterst to find a little inspiration, asked the hubby for some help and set the day for our laundry room redo.

We got all the matriels for this redo at three stores: Lowes, Garden Ridge, and Home Goods. We went to Lowes for the wood, nails and paint, Garden Ridge for a new rug and some accessories, and then Home Goods for some baskets and a lamp. Lowes is a great resource if you don't have a lot of tools already. Andrew thought he was going to get out of this little project because we didn't have a saw to cut the wood into the length we needed...good thing I did some research and found that Lowes cuts it into pieces for FREE!

After we brought all our pieces of wood home I painted them white to make the shelf look cleaner.  And get this...I used spray paint. It was quick, cheep, mess free, and did a great job! After the paint dried by lovely hubby hung my shelf!


You will need a level and drill for this part.

Then It was all up to me...I got in there and got busy. I organized the ugly things like detergent and dryer sheets into baskets and did a little decorating.  All in all I am so happy with how it turned out. It is much brighter and looks like it fits in our home now.



The best part is this whole project took less than an hour (not including waiting for the paint to dry) and was under 150 dollars for everything!

Happy Friday everyone and I hope you have a fun-filled weekend ahead! We're getting to spend time with my cousins and their beautiful babes and couldn't be more excited!


1 comment: