Monday, August 19, 2013

The job I'm good at....

As most of you know last year I had by dream job. I taught kindergarten with the most amazing team at a low income school. It was one of the most challenging things I have ever done but I wouldn't have changed one thing: I made a difference and in this big world thats all I really want to do. But then my life changed....we moved.We loaded up all of my classroom belongings, our house and headed over to Texas.

My personality is a busy body. I like to have a project and always something to do therefore just staying at home while Andrew worked was out of the question. Yes, Andrew has a great job that would allow me to stay home if that was what we need but honestly I can only do so many home improvement projects, and paint so many pieces of furniture until I get board...I need to work, I need to teach.

As soon as we found out that we were for sure moving I started looking for information on what I needed to do to be able to teach here. Texas is a whole different ballgame when it comes to teaching and fortunately they don't really recognize any of my Louisiana credentials (hope you hear the sarcasm in my voice). I applied for a temporary certification that would allow me to teach for a year but with the understanding that during that year I must take two more teaching test..no big deal. The funny part is that to gain a Louisiana teaching certificate if you posses a Texas certification all you do is pay a fee...way to go Louisiana.

Well school starts a week from today and who still doesn't have a teaching position...this girl.  I have applied to a ton of schools for a ton of different positions and I'm sure principals are getting tired of seeing my email address in their inbox but a girls got to be persistent right?! I've been totally fine about being on a job hunt...I kept saying I'll just sub and it will be fine which is true but who wants to sub when they have already had their own classroom...and thats when the discouragement set it.  I started doubting if I was supposed to teach and if I wasn't going to teach what was I going to do.  I was feeling really bummed then we went to church and the message was about overcoming discouragement
 though faith...Thank You God, I hear you.

I felt like it was the perfect sermon for me to hear and that the pastor was speaking directly to me.  We left church and I prayed that God would show me what he wants me to do this year.  The next day I got a call to be a nanny. I'm good at being a nanny, I like the flexibility of being a nanny, and I love not having to get dressed and do my hair everyday when I'm a nanny.

Liam, and the Smith family have been the biggest blessing in my life these past few weeks. Liam is such a ball of joy and so much fun. They are also going to be able to let me sub. during the school year to help get my name into the school system here.

So although it isn't my dream teaching job and it wasn't my plan it is a job I love and a job I am good at. I know that at this point in time it is what I am supposed to be doing and when it is my time to teach the perfect job will come along.  I am just feeling very grateful for where I am right now... sitting downstairs while Liam naps.

This is the song we have sang a few times at worship and I'm really loving and finding strength though it right now.


Happy Monday Everyone,
xoxo
amber

No comments:

Post a Comment